Monday, February 8, 2016

My Highlight

You would think that the Super Bowl would be the highlight of my day yesterday, and that half time show was pretty brilliant. Loved the fun and simple aesthetic and did anyone else think that Beyonce and Bruno Mars kind of looked like modern superheroes? Yeah #ubernerd, no shame!

ANYHOW that wasn’t it. I was going to say that it was the dogs again because Oberon was SUCH a pain in the butt! My morning started off with lovemaking—or it WOULD have if a certain big baby hadn’t positioned himself right beside us and started crying for not being aloud up. Kiss. Whine. Kiss. That will be a change I’m looking forward to when we eventually move out. Doors. That in and of itself would have been enough except that later I’m reading in my armchair, my bride comes by and bends down to kiss me, and that same stupid dog shoves his face right into the mix, cold nose bumping our cheeks and his whining in our ears. And as if that wasn’t enough, when we finally settle down after homework, writing, and business, to watch the sunset over the pond from the back porch, he became so exuberant to be between us that he sent my bride’s beer bottle careening and I had to play a quick game of 52 card pickup—if those cards were unknown in quantity, transparent, and razor sharp.  

If this dog was one of Snow White’s dwarves his name would be NEEDY! Excuse me, sir, but I ordered an aloof and independent canine companion, not one incapable of surviving five minutes outside of the center of attention. This dog is spoiled rotten. SPOILED. ROTTEN. His dinner came straight from the table (or at least a huge appetizer) courtesy of my bride during the football game.

But the highlight, THE HIGHLIGHT, was my wife working on her novel. Some of her subject material is hard stuff to deal with and it makes me admire her more for all that she has done. This woman is beyond remarkable and her book is going to be far more powerful than anything I have ever written. Maybe ever will write. And for all that she has poured into it I will be beyond ecstatic. I love that my bride is so compassionate, so driven, and so intelligent and all of that is abundantly clear when she writes. That’s how we met actually, through writing.


What a great touchstone to start from, yeah?

No comments:

Post a Comment